Thursday, April 16, 2009

Is Reddit Sending More Traffic than Digg?

Is Reddit Sending More Traffic than Digg?
Over the last few months we have seen a lot of change in social media. Especially amongst the two social powerhouses Reddit and Digg. (I’m not even going to mention Propeller because it’s recent redesign was an utter failure. Oops!)
Throughout the changes, we have seen a large number of top Digg users moving over to Reddit. Where you still have an avid userbase on Reddit who will kill the every mention of Digg, you can actually get Reddit stories to the front page of Digg now with the majority of the comments pro Reddit and anti Digg.
This might be the cause for one of the biggest changes I have noticed over the last month or so… Traffic.



Believe it or not, I have had numerous occasions over the last month, where Reddit has sent more traffic than being on the front page of Digg.
This last week we published an interesting offbeat story on one of my blogs that typically does well in both Digg and Reddit.
The story never actually made it to the front page of Reddit, but it did make it to the front page of Digg. What was amazing was when I took a look at the traffic both had sent, Reddit actually sent more traffic to the story and it was on the the front page of Digg, not Reddit.
Reddit sent around 5,000 visits with Digg sending around 4,800 visits.
Now I know the numbers above might not seem too impressive to some, but if you are familiar with the traffic trends on both site then you will find this quite impressive.
I have talked to many other site owners who are finding the same thing; Reddit is sending about the same, if not more traffic than Digg is for front page stories.
Of course there are always other factors in play so I waited until I had confirmation from other major sites and had seen it happen multiple times personally, before blogging about it.
So where once Digg was the top name when it came to social communities, we are finding Reddit to be stepping it up and possibly overcoming Digg as the top social media community.


The Fact for average topic:
I tried to do good in Digg through all possible ways both whitehat and blackhat methods. But never got much success as Digg is completely dominated by top/power users. My average posts in Digg awarded me with only 50-60 hits, then I decided to taste Reddit as its growing day by day. Then I made the first post on Reddit (same was on Digg), posted a comment on frontpage top topic, got back to my job. Just out of curiosity I checked my site-stat, and got dumb!!! In just an hour Reddit sent me 400 hits! Simply 10 times than Digg. I could not trust my eyes, checked back again and found the same result. From that day I stopped posting on Digg, now I’m regular user of Reddit.

No comments: